Skip to main content

The Post Office at Mori Road

The post office in my lane still looks the same since the last forty years. For years, I had not visited the post office, though I used to be a frequent visitor once upon a time, when my grand father who was an avid writer of letters used to send me to buy him his supply of stamps, inland letters or post letters written by him every week.

The intensity of this activity used to be particularly high as Pujo (as in Durga Puja – referred to as Pujo by Bengalis) approached every year as he probably wrote to everyone he knew to wish them for Pujo. He also used to eagerly wait for the postman ringing our doorbell every afternoon for the reply to his letters. Over the years the postal department knew our address well enough and I remember those delivering letters to our address, simply on the basis of my grandpa’s name being written on the address line, although the rest of the address was often incomplete or incorrect.

That said, the postmen in the area also knew that Pujo was a big occasion for us Bengalis and always expected some special tips for their service every Pujo. And my grandfather obliged willingly. One of them even knew us personally as he was from West Bengal and was a Bengali. I knew him as Harekeshtoda. From Pujo tidings to my report card, Harekeshtoda delivered the good news and the bad news respectively. In the evenings, after his official duties, Harekeshtoda used to sit outside the post office and help people who could not read and write with their letters as a service and made some more money on the side.

It had been years since I had visited the post office. I think it must be more than twenty years. And I had even stopped noticing it over the years. It almost never existed for me on the street. In the age of email and technology I guess these old institutions fade away. Besides the post office today we have a brand new ATM on Mori Road. Another intervention of technology that we take for granted today.

On this morning, I was making my way to the ATM to replenish my depleted cash position. The ATM was getting its cash changeover done and I had to wait by the post office next door. The post office was dimly lit with two tube lights hanging precariously from the ceiling. The walls had lost their paint and now their plaster over the years and the betel leaf stains were even more visible than ever before splattered generously across the wall. The wooden counter across which the post office personnel sat still had that old world teak wood polish – the only sign of the glory of the olden days. A mesh separated the customer from the attendant as usual and you had to half bend and look at the attendant through the gap to strike up a conversation if you needed to. The post office had a unique old world smell and as I took that in, it was pure nostalgia. I ventured a little inside and saw men in Khaki milling around. As my eyes got adjusted to the darkness around, I heard a voice call out in Bengali “Chinte Parcho?” meaning “Can you recognize me?” I turned around and saw an ageing man, with a white shock of hair, his face creased with the first signs of old age setting in hobbling towards me. It took me a couple of seconds, but I recognized him in an instant “Harekeshtoda! What a surprise. You are still here?”. “Well I guess it will be a couple of years before I kick the bucket, young man, but I can still recognize you. These old eyes are still good” he said, peering through his thick glasses.

‘So, what brings you here? I have never seen you in years at the post office. ” he asked. To my embarrassment I told him that I had come to buy some stationery at the post office. His face lit up instantly and he offered to fetch me my stationery from the clerk across the counter. I bought an inland letter, two post cards and some stamps in a desperate cover up attempt. ‘It still looks the same” I said. “Nothing has changed, Harekeshtoda”. He suddenly looked a little sad, perhaps crestfallen. I think I touched a raw nerve. “You are right, nothing has changed, people have forgotten the art of letter writing, and no one writes letters nowadays. It is all about email. The olden days were different. I used to enjoy delivering letters and writing letters and helping people communicate. I knew instinctively if a letter contained good news or bad news. People used to wait for my ring on the doorbell. I have shared their happiness, tears, anxiety and boredom and knew many of them personally. The world outside has changed, but here it only gets darker every day.”

I tried to cheer him up. “Maybe the good thing that has happened is that your bag has got lighter with your age” I said. He smiled. “I don’t mind the bag as long as I had to deliver to people like your grandfather. They don’t make them like that anymore. I used to especially enjoy the time during the Pujo delivering letters to your house.” Pujo was around the corner and it was the day before Mahalaya. I wished him and his face lit up once again. “I am going home to be with my family. In fact, I am retiring and going back. My son is now grown up and married and has a baby boy. I am looking forward to being with my grandson. Just like your grandfather spent time with you. I am so happy I met you before going. I suppose we were destined to meet” he said.

He handed over the postal stationery to me. I shook his hand warmly and wished him the best and a happy Pujo. “Something for the kids” and he stuffed a fifty rupee note in my hands. I protested but he would not listen. “My turn to give back” he said. He smiled and this time it spread across his wrinkled face and that smile froze in time for me, for a second. I walked back, completely oblivious of the fact that I had to withdraw money from the ATM. I reached home and my wife asked me “What’s this? What have you got? Where is the money?” I fumbled and mumbled and produced a bunch of postal stationery much to her amusement. “I bought some stationery to write some letters. Tomorrow is Mahalaya. And here is fifty bucks to buy sweets for the children” I blurted. “I think you have completely lost it. You really need a break” she said.

The next morning while hearing the Chandi Path (the chant of the goddess Durga on Mahalaya) on tape, I noticed the postal stationery on the table. I reached for my pen and my blackberry beeped. There was email to read. But I am not giving up. I intend to complete that letter. At least it feels like old times again during Pujo.

Wish you all a happy Pujo.

Comments

sachinleo80 said…
The article is very nice and have reminded me my childhood when my Granpa use to write letters to all relatives and friends to wish Dussera & Diwali.

Wish you happy Pujo.
sachinleo80 said…
Awesome article...

This reminds me of my childhood when I use to go Post Office. Now I have decided to write letters to all my relatives and friends to wish them... :)

Wish you happy Pujo.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subir Ghosh said…
dear sam
read your piece today since i was completely tied up during pujo (you know about the new arrival, don't you?) i absoluetly enjoyed reading it.

i'm sure aschhe bochor aabar hobey, but i hope otodin opekkha korte hobena for the next mori road piece, that is.
Anonymous said…
Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

Master Moshai

It was that time of the year yet again. It was the evening before Mahalaya. I had to run a few household chores and ran down to Chandu’s store to get my supplies for the next day. Chandu was busy and this time of the evening was his peak hour. I waited for my turn and was growing impatient by each passing minute when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Master Moshai.   Through the years I had lost touch with him and hardly ever met him. I first met him when I was in eight grade and my parents thought it prudent to have me under his tutelage given, he had a great reputation as a teacher. I was marched off, somewhat against my own wishes to join his tutorial. The final approval came after an hour-long interview that my grandfather had with him to satisfy himself of his credentials. My grandfather christened him Master Moshai and I grew up knowing him as that. Otherwise, Mori Road knew him by a different name.   “How are you?” he asked in his booming voice. He still stood to his full hei

The Behalawallah

  If you sat idling on my balcony in the late afternoon or early evening, chances are you would be treated to some soulful music. From my growing up years, I have seen him ambling along playing his “Behala” and the tunes he played had become a part of me over the years. I have enjoyed many sunsets listening to his renditions. He would often stop and play to people who showed him some interest in the hope he would sell one of his instruments. The instrument he played was a small Voilin like thing, with a two strings and a strange bow that was somewhat bent. My mother called him the Behalawallah and I grew up knowing him as such.   He had noticed that I was an avid listener perched on my balcony and often waved to me. A couple of times when we crossed paths, he even suggested that I buy one of his instruments but I had politely refused. Though the urge to hold one of them in my hand always remained. As the years rolled by and as life got busy, I stopped noticing him. Or perhaps he had go

Mishraji and his Magic Jalebis

  Mishraji was a potbellied man, with a clean-shaven head, and the only prized possession on his head was his ponytail, that was tied in a knot (also known as the Choti). The thin moustache on his well-rounded face gave him an air of benign arrogance. He was always clad in a ‘Dhoti” and “Banyan” and his Dhoti usually was tucked up to his knees, allowing him to work freely. He chewed his betel leaf with aplomb, with often a red stain being visible at the corner of his lips. His shop probably was never painted in years. It had dark green walls lit dimly by a solitary tube-light. Mishraji was Mori Road’s “Mithaiwala” (sweet vendor). His specialty was Bengali sweets and he had worked in Kolkata in his younger days before moving to Mumbai. My mother often said that he made the most delectable Bengali sweets and I grew up eating a good variety of them. When I was in school, I used to walk up and wait outside Mishraji’s shop to board my school bus. There used to be the whole lot of