Skip to main content

Shiva


The rag picker across the street by now was a familiar sight. He had encroached on the pavement opposite my house and I had a clear view of him from my window. Often as I sipped my morning tea by the window, he would be up and about rummaging the dustbin for things he could salvage and sell. We call it recycling.

My feeling on spotting him the first day was one of resentment. Surely we could do with lesser people encroaching our pavements I thought. Over time this Mori Road pavement became his home and he lived there with his wife, kid and a stray dog.  He was a tall man, lean, well built, dark in complexion with long locks of hair, and was at most times adorned in only a lungi drawn up to his knees. Which made me feel that he must be an immigrant from the south of India.

As days passed, we started to notice each other, me standing at the window and he perched on the pavement across the street. He would sometimes look up and grin at me and wave and while I had no intention of returning this "good morning" greeting, I would wave back half heartedly, just to be civil about things. More recently, it had become almost a morning ritual as we began to acknowledge each others presence.

But today as I got to the window, expecting to see him, things were not the usual. He was not there, and near the pavement across the street lay a man quite motionless. A sight like that in the morning is not a happy one. I noticed the man wore factory overalls and perhaps worked in one, was of fair complexion and the general disposition was of someone you don't quite expect to see lying on the street. "I hope he is not seriously ill " I thought to myself. "Or maybe he is just drunk and fallen by the wayside. Should be up and running in a while."

As I pondered over his state I saw my "morning friend" appear. He hovered over the man, and inspected him. While he did this, he looked up and our eyes met. But this time instead of waving he pointed to the man and shrugged his shoulders. I really wanted to say, "Splash some water on his face, you idiot" and I think he read my mind. He found water and splashed it on his face. No effect.  Then he tried to lift him and get him to sit, but the man's body was completely listless and it did not work. This got me a little more concerned.

I saw the rag picker now put his ear to the man's chest and listen. By this time I was anxious too. "I hope he hears a heartbeat or something " I prayed.  The next thing I noticed was that he was looking for a pulse and checking if he was breathing. Confused, he looked up at me hands on his hips, as if asking "Dude, any ideas what we can do now? " My mind started racing. Maybe I need to dial the emergency services. But where is the number. Of course, I maybe able to Google it or maybe I should just go down and check first….!

Except for the rag picker, the rest of Mori Road, passing by did not notice or want to take notice of the fallen man. Life had to move on. As all this was happening, I saw the rag picker walk up to Mama, our local constable. Mama was a constable with the Mahim police station and he had often been posted at our crossing. I knew him as Mama as the whole neighborhood called him.

After lot of gesturing, pointing and waving of arms, Mama seemed finally convinced, and came along with the rag picker to inspect the situation. He prodded the lifeless body with his stick and knelt down to inspect him more closely. It started to drizzle now and yet no movement. It had been a while at the window for me now. Mama and the rag picker now tried to shift the man and got him to a safer spot. “Must be alive” I thought.

Mama left, and as I sat by the window reading the morning paper, I saw the rag picker sit cross-legged near the man almost as if he was keeping a vigil on him. Morning became mid morning and the drizzle gave way to a bright sun. Occasionally he would keep splashing water on his face expecting him to move. The strong afternoon sun was out now. I noticed the rag picker open up a tattered umbrella and this shadow sheltered the man.

One more splash of water and finally !! The man moved his arms. The rag picker yelped and jumped up, dancing around the man. He yelled and Mama came running back. Together, they tried to feed him some water and while he coughed it up violently, bit by bit he sipped the water. The man supported by them now was made to sit and the rag picker offered him a piece of bread, almost as if the man was a guest in his homeless home. This accomplished, the rag picker looked up at my window now, found me there, and again that wide grin and a wave of the hand. We had missed our customary "good morning" today and he seemed to say "better late than never".  For the first time I smiled and waved back happily.

In the evening as I went down to run errands for the house, I saw the rag picker.  He grinned at me and I smiled back. We took a few steps towards each other and I asked him "So was he drunk or just ill?" "Drunk, stone drunk, but the fellow needed help" he said. "What's your name " I asked instinctively. "Shiva" he said, as he stepped up to greet me. "They all call me Shiva here. I need to go now, have to take my dog for his walk" he grinned again. This time at close quarters his grin seemed almost mesmerizing. And with that he disappeared, almost in a flash.

The next day was Mahalaya. Our family was up early to catch the chants of the Chandi. As    dawn broke, I saw him down there grinning and waving. I grinned this time at him too and waved back a full hand. Suddenly I realized that I did not resent him anymore. I was somehow happy to see him there.

My wife asked "Who are you waving to this early in the morning?" "Shiva" I replied. "Shiva? Shiva who?" she asked. "The one you will go searching for in the temple this morning" I blurted out rather instinctively. "I don't know what it is with you. Every Mahalaya it gets more weird than the previous one and this time you are making fun of the Almighty on this day!  Come get your breakfast. We have lots of work to do. Puja is around the corner”.

Happy Mahalaya folks. Mori Road never ceases to amuse me. You never know who you will meet next and in what way. Meeting Shiva was great. Happy Puja Folks. Have a blast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Master Moshai

It was that time of the year yet again. It was the evening before Mahalaya. I had to run a few household chores and ran down to Chandu’s store to get my supplies for the next day. Chandu was busy and this time of the evening was his peak hour. I waited for my turn and was growing impatient by each passing minute when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Master Moshai.   Through the years I had lost touch with him and hardly ever met him. I first met him when I was in eight grade and my parents thought it prudent to have me under his tutelage given, he had a great reputation as a teacher. I was marched off, somewhat against my own wishes to join his tutorial. The final approval came after an hour-long interview that my grandfather had with him to satisfy himself of his credentials. My grandfather christened him Master Moshai and I grew up knowing him as that. Otherwise, Mori Road knew him by a different name.   “How are you?” he asked in his booming voice. He still stood to his full hei

The Behalawallah

  If you sat idling on my balcony in the late afternoon or early evening, chances are you would be treated to some soulful music. From my growing up years, I have seen him ambling along playing his “Behala” and the tunes he played had become a part of me over the years. I have enjoyed many sunsets listening to his renditions. He would often stop and play to people who showed him some interest in the hope he would sell one of his instruments. The instrument he played was a small Voilin like thing, with a two strings and a strange bow that was somewhat bent. My mother called him the Behalawallah and I grew up knowing him as such.   He had noticed that I was an avid listener perched on my balcony and often waved to me. A couple of times when we crossed paths, he even suggested that I buy one of his instruments but I had politely refused. Though the urge to hold one of them in my hand always remained. As the years rolled by and as life got busy, I stopped noticing him. Or perhaps he had go

Mishraji and his Magic Jalebis

  Mishraji was a potbellied man, with a clean-shaven head, and the only prized possession on his head was his ponytail, that was tied in a knot (also known as the Choti). The thin moustache on his well-rounded face gave him an air of benign arrogance. He was always clad in a ‘Dhoti” and “Banyan” and his Dhoti usually was tucked up to his knees, allowing him to work freely. He chewed his betel leaf with aplomb, with often a red stain being visible at the corner of his lips. His shop probably was never painted in years. It had dark green walls lit dimly by a solitary tube-light. Mishraji was Mori Road’s “Mithaiwala” (sweet vendor). His specialty was Bengali sweets and he had worked in Kolkata in his younger days before moving to Mumbai. My mother often said that he made the most delectable Bengali sweets and I grew up eating a good variety of them. When I was in school, I used to walk up and wait outside Mishraji’s shop to board my school bus. There used to be the whole lot of