Skip to main content

The Divine Touch

From the time I can remember, Vandana and I had grown up as neighbors. Our apartments were on the same floor and she lived across the passageway. However as we grew up, I became conscious of the fact that she was differently abled with respect to her speaking and mental faculties. I don't even remember the time when I stopped interacting with her and as I grew up I had almost stopped noticing her. 

Every time we met in the stairway or downstairs, I used to look down and walk briskly past her in an effort to avoid any interaction - and I am not sure why I did that. Vandana lost her father more recently and her mother was completely bed ridden with illness. Every time I walked past her, I thought about the life she led but then like most Mumbaikars, I was almost an expert at shutting out such thoughts at will. I did not know how to speak to her, what to speak on and like everyone in this city believes, rationalized that I had no time to spare. 

It was the evening before Mahalaya and I got home feeling upbeat about the festive days ahead. Mori Road was bedecked like a bride. Rows of flashing bulbs lit up the street and from my window I saw the pandal for Navratri almost complete. I had to run household chores and went down to the "kirana" store run by Chandubhai. Chandu was a baniya to the core and an astute businessman. We were the same age. He kept his store going through good times and bad and I had a revolving credit line with him. I often told Chandu that running a store like his would be my retirement plan and that made him feel good.

This evening as I got to his store he had lit the incense sticks for the evening and was praying. He pointed them at the photos of the several deities he worshipped, turned around with his hand on his head three times at the same spot and then bowed in reverence to them, completing his evening ritual before making himself available for business. Chandu's nephew was there by his side and was about six or seven years old. "Do you pray everyday like your uncle?" I asked. "No, do you think God is for real ? I think these are only photos and statues that he worships." he said. Chandu was taken aback and looked at me in a manner that said "Was that question necessary ? Now answer him !" 

To salvage the situation I said " There was someone who saw God for real. His name was Sri Ramakrishna. And there is a story about that." "Tell me about it please" he said. So I told him how a man called Narendra (Swami Vivekananda) skeptical as he was about the existence of God, went to Sri Ramakrishna and challenged him to prove there was God. On one such instance when he was sitting near Sri Ramakrishna, the saint touched him and he had the vision and experience of God. "Wow, he actually saw God?" he asked. "Sort of" I said, given it is too difficult to explain a spiritual experience to a kid of that age. That made the boy think and he turned to Chandu. 

"Uncle, can you sit down and close your eyes" he asked. Chandu protested and then obeyed. The boy then closed his eyes and gently touched Chandu on the chest and forehead. Chandu opened his eyes and bore a bewildered look. "Did you see God?" he asked. Chandu looked at me accusingly and shook his head. The boy did not give up. "Lets try this with you, uncle" he said to me. I sat down on the bench outside and he touched me gently again and the same question " Did you see God?" I drew him close and said "Look ordinary people like your uncle and me cannot see God. He is only visible to some special people." He looked disappointed and said "Maybe we can try after a couple of days. It may work. "Sure" I said and having collected my merchandise I apologized to Chandu and bid his nephew good bye. Dinner was waiting and I had to get to bed early as I had to wake up early in the morning. 

It was the morning of Mahalaya and I woke up to the chants of the Chandi. It was a wonderful feeling to hear the rendition of the Chandi with the break of dawn.  The sun rose in the sky and the morning tea by the window felt extra warm and special. I dropped my son to school and as I returned, I saw Vandana at the entrance to the staircase. I prepared myself to do my customary 'duck and disappear' act as we drew close. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that she was inspecting something in her hand very closely. We have a narrow staircase and as we neared each other, in my attempt to walk briskly past her, I think I missed my step and ran into her and that startled her. 

It was a very awkward moment. Vandana stopped and for the first time in many years I looked her in the eye. "Sorry for that" I said. Vandana fixed her gaze on me squarely, but for what seemed to be a couple of seconds, seemed like an eternity to me. She pointed to the ground and then her ear and signaled that she may have dropped an earring from her hand. Now, if you have avoided interacting with someone for a lifetime, it is awkward. It is even more awkward when you make her loose something valuable after all that time. I started looking down and both of us began the treasure hunt. And all this had to happen when you are in a tearing hurry to go and get ready for office. As I was planning my escape, I got lucky and said "I found it !" All I wanted to do was hand it over and leave. "Sorry again" I said. 

She smiled and seemed to say "It's OK. Don't worry". And as I prepared to leave, she wished me  "Good morning" -  this time I understood what she said. It had been more than forty good years that I had stayed here but had never wished her ever.  "Good morning" I said. She extended her hand and I reciprocated with a handshake.  

We walked upstairs and reached the passageway on our floor. Her door was open and I saw her speaking to her mother. The years of awkwardness now having dissolved to some extent, I asked. "Hows Aunty ?" She returned a thumbs up sign and gestured me to come in. Inside I saw Aunty lying on the bed and as she looked up, she took a while to recognize me. "I am Samudra. Remember me ?" I said. 

A flicker of recognition and a toothless grin. "Ah, you have come after so many years. I am so happy to see you. Drop in once in a while. Your mother and I were very close friends and I still remember her. We used to speak almost every day and I miss her." As I wished her well, memories of our childhood came flooding back. Mohini Aunty and my mother used to be standing at the door and often to my amazement used to talk for hours on end. "I have very fond memories too aunty. I will drop in again" I bid goodbye and as I rang my door bell and little did I realize that I was grinning from ear to ear.

"What are you grinning about?" my wife asked as she opened the door. "Nothing, last evening someone touched my head to check out if I can sense God, and I think I just did". I said. "Every Mahalaya it gets all the more weird on this day. Anyway come have your breakfast. We have a lot to do before Pujo" she said shaking her head. 

I looked out at the street and the local club was getting the finishing touches done for their pandal. Mahalaya was here and I could feel Pujo around the corner. And I would not have wanted it to begin any other way.


I hope all of you have a great Pujo. And be open to miracles for sometimes getting that divine touch may serve you well. And Mori Road never ceases to amuse me - every Mahalaya without fail. 

Comments

Sudipta said…
Loved reading it and it is a food for thought. Your story reminds me that when God touches one's heart, thoughts and perceptions become multi-dimensional; the channels of sutler emotions of love and compassion opens up. Thanks!
Manjunath Shastri said…
Good one Sam. Enjoyed reading it..
Anonymous said…
This was touching, thank you.
Reminded me of those days when all I had to do was look at her face, while incense, dhuno and dhak swirled around me and the purutmoshai swayed to the rhythm of aarati....and then I could touch God. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Master Moshai

It was that time of the year yet again. It was the evening before Mahalaya. I had to run a few household chores and ran down to Chandu’s store to get my supplies for the next day. Chandu was busy and this time of the evening was his peak hour. I waited for my turn and was growing impatient by each passing minute when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Master Moshai.   Through the years I had lost touch with him and hardly ever met him. I first met him when I was in eight grade and my parents thought it prudent to have me under his tutelage given, he had a great reputation as a teacher. I was marched off, somewhat against my own wishes to join his tutorial. The final approval came after an hour-long interview that my grandfather had with him to satisfy himself of his credentials. My grandfather christened him Master Moshai and I grew up knowing him as that. Otherwise, Mori Road knew him by a different name.   “How are you?” he asked in his booming voice. He still stood to his full hei

The Behalawallah

  If you sat idling on my balcony in the late afternoon or early evening, chances are you would be treated to some soulful music. From my growing up years, I have seen him ambling along playing his “Behala” and the tunes he played had become a part of me over the years. I have enjoyed many sunsets listening to his renditions. He would often stop and play to people who showed him some interest in the hope he would sell one of his instruments. The instrument he played was a small Voilin like thing, with a two strings and a strange bow that was somewhat bent. My mother called him the Behalawallah and I grew up knowing him as such.   He had noticed that I was an avid listener perched on my balcony and often waved to me. A couple of times when we crossed paths, he even suggested that I buy one of his instruments but I had politely refused. Though the urge to hold one of them in my hand always remained. As the years rolled by and as life got busy, I stopped noticing him. Or perhaps he had go

Mishraji and his Magic Jalebis

  Mishraji was a potbellied man, with a clean-shaven head, and the only prized possession on his head was his ponytail, that was tied in a knot (also known as the Choti). The thin moustache on his well-rounded face gave him an air of benign arrogance. He was always clad in a ‘Dhoti” and “Banyan” and his Dhoti usually was tucked up to his knees, allowing him to work freely. He chewed his betel leaf with aplomb, with often a red stain being visible at the corner of his lips. His shop probably was never painted in years. It had dark green walls lit dimly by a solitary tube-light. Mishraji was Mori Road’s “Mithaiwala” (sweet vendor). His specialty was Bengali sweets and he had worked in Kolkata in his younger days before moving to Mumbai. My mother often said that he made the most delectable Bengali sweets and I grew up eating a good variety of them. When I was in school, I used to walk up and wait outside Mishraji’s shop to board my school bus. There used to be the whole lot of