Skip to main content

The Divine Footprint

The man had a striking appearance. He was tall, with a flowing beard and long hair. He wore spectacles but he was dressed rather shabbily with a bag slung over his shoulder. If he was slightly better groomed and wore a robe, he would probably resemble the Bard of Bengal.  

As I sipped my morning tea, standing on my balcony, I could not help but notice him. More so, as he was standing still and staring at the ground for a long time. After some time, he knelt down at the spot where he was standing and kissed the ground. He then folded his hands, looked to the heavens and prayed. I sat upright now on my balcony ledge and gave him my full attention. The man’s mental stability was in question. 

The man by now had finished his ritual and got his bag off his shoulder. He started walking and turned ninety degrees after every ten or fifteen feet. As if to define a rectangle of sorts. He did this three to four times. Finally he took out something from his bag and marked the corners of the rectangle and started drawing it’s boundaries. Having done that, he stood with a piece of paper in his hand, again still like a statue for a long time.  

It was time to get ready for office. I left my perch at the balcony ledge and got ready. As I left for the day, I noticed him again kneeling down, now within the perimeter of his rectangle, huddled over something. It was a busy day at the office and before I knew it, the day was over and it was time to get home.  

As I got home, I saw a small motley crowd gathered at the same spot where my friend from the morning was measuring his steps and praying. I had to run a few errands for the house so I got down from the car. Out of curiosity I decided to take a peek at what was going on. 

To my utter astonishment, I saw a beautiful painting. The canvass was the road and the frame was the size of the rectangle that the man was drawing this morning. I drew closer. It was the twilight hour and I could make out a huge footprint, inside which was a world of miniature art. I had not seen anything like that before. Like the others I stood quite spellbound for a while. I reached into my pocket and donated to the cash box kept on the side. The creator, the man I assumed to be insane in the morning -  sat by the side of the painting, almost oblivious of what was happening around him. 

It was getting dark and I headed back home. It was the evening before Mahalaya and I wanted to get to bed early, so that I could wake up at the auspicious hour and hear the Chandi Path. The pandal across the road was ready, to welcome the Goddess the next day. Rows of twinkling lights lit up the street in anticipation of the event. It started drizzling and then it became a downpour. I thought of the man and his painting on the road and felt bad for him. “The rain would ruin that work of art” I thought as I hit the bed. 

I got up late and missed hearing the Chandi. I was hugely disappointed as in all these years, I had hardly missed hearing this. I looked out of the window, and I saw him again. He was huddled over his painting and working feverishly. The rain had probably washed out most of his work. As the sun lit up the eastern sky, I could see more clearly. He had probably recreated the entire footprint painting all over again. It looked even better with the morning light. 

I dropped my son off to school and was returning home. Since there was no crowd,  I decided to stop over and have a closer look at his work.  It had a divine touch to it. “Whose footprint is this ?” I asked. He looked up and smiled “Lord Vishnu” he said. “It’s beautiful. Why Lord Vishnu’s footprint?” I asked. “For me, the Lord  is walking all over India. Right now the Lord  is in Mumbai. The next footprint will be near Siddhi Vinayak. I have been all over India and drawn his footprints everywhere. The last two years I have been covering Mumbai and Pune.” he said. 

“I saw you recreate your entire art work from last night. That must have been really tough” I said. “Yes, I did. How can Lord Vishnu’s footprint be washed away by mere rain on the first day of Navratri. This only vanishes when I leave this place” he smiled and said. 

You can call it instinct, but I somehow folded my hands and bowed my head in reverence to the painting. As a tribute to his perseverance through the night, I stood for a while and then again proceeded to donate some money to his cash box. “No, please don’t. Most of what I earn goes to charity. You prayed, that is enough. Most give me money, very few pray.” he said. 

“What is your name?, Where are you from?” I asked. “I am from the South of India. Since I started drawing the footprint of Vishnu, the villagers called me Krishna. What about you?” he said. “I am a Bengali. I live up there” I said, pointing to my balcony ledge. “ Ah ! Shubho Mahalaya. Did I say that right?” he asked. “Yes. Thank you” I said. “God Bless” he said. 

As I walked away, the pandal across the road began to play a portion of the of the Chandi, invoking the power of Durga. The chant of “Ya Devi Sarva Bhuteshu…..” rang through the air. It made my day, having missed it in the morning. I knew Mahalaya was here again. 

I got home late and my wife asked me “What took you so long?” I was silent, as I walked up to the window ledge. He was still there. Coincidentally he looked up and waved. I waved back. “And who are you waving to?” she said. “Lord Vishnu dear” I said. “. It’s not funny. You always say strange things on Mahalaya. Come get breakfast.” she said. 

Mori Road still has it’s magical moments. Vishnu’s footprint will be gone when Krishna departs. But the magic will still live on for the next few days. 


I wish all of you a great Puja ahead. 

Comments

Anjan Sen said…
Very toy king and well written .......as always
Sandhya vinze said…
Very interesting.. footprints of Lord Vishnu.. during Devis Navratri.. blessed we are..
Enjoyed reading.. sam..
Divya said…
Beautiful... i saw Krishna... and the painting... your balcony too! all in my version of Mori road! Well written.Thanks for sharing...

Popular posts from this blog

Master Moshai

It was that time of the year yet again. It was the evening before Mahalaya. I had to run a few household chores and ran down to Chandu’s store to get my supplies for the next day. Chandu was busy and this time of the evening was his peak hour. I waited for my turn and was growing impatient by each passing minute when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Master Moshai.   Through the years I had lost touch with him and hardly ever met him. I first met him when I was in eight grade and my parents thought it prudent to have me under his tutelage given, he had a great reputation as a teacher. I was marched off, somewhat against my own wishes to join his tutorial. The final approval came after an hour-long interview that my grandfather had with him to satisfy himself of his credentials. My grandfather christened him Master Moshai and I grew up knowing him as that. Otherwise, Mori Road knew him by a different name.   “How are you?” he asked in his booming voice. He still stood to his full hei

The Behalawallah

  If you sat idling on my balcony in the late afternoon or early evening, chances are you would be treated to some soulful music. From my growing up years, I have seen him ambling along playing his “Behala” and the tunes he played had become a part of me over the years. I have enjoyed many sunsets listening to his renditions. He would often stop and play to people who showed him some interest in the hope he would sell one of his instruments. The instrument he played was a small Voilin like thing, with a two strings and a strange bow that was somewhat bent. My mother called him the Behalawallah and I grew up knowing him as such.   He had noticed that I was an avid listener perched on my balcony and often waved to me. A couple of times when we crossed paths, he even suggested that I buy one of his instruments but I had politely refused. Though the urge to hold one of them in my hand always remained. As the years rolled by and as life got busy, I stopped noticing him. Or perhaps he had go

Mishraji and his Magic Jalebis

  Mishraji was a potbellied man, with a clean-shaven head, and the only prized possession on his head was his ponytail, that was tied in a knot (also known as the Choti). The thin moustache on his well-rounded face gave him an air of benign arrogance. He was always clad in a ‘Dhoti” and “Banyan” and his Dhoti usually was tucked up to his knees, allowing him to work freely. He chewed his betel leaf with aplomb, with often a red stain being visible at the corner of his lips. His shop probably was never painted in years. It had dark green walls lit dimly by a solitary tube-light. Mishraji was Mori Road’s “Mithaiwala” (sweet vendor). His specialty was Bengali sweets and he had worked in Kolkata in his younger days before moving to Mumbai. My mother often said that he made the most delectable Bengali sweets and I grew up eating a good variety of them. When I was in school, I used to walk up and wait outside Mishraji’s shop to board my school bus. There used to be the whole lot of